Just called my friend Heinz Stücke who informed me of this Kickstarter fund raising for a docu on his unmatched accomplishments! (Expires Dec 12th 2018)
We first met in the early nineties, getting him his Mongolian visa, and been regularly meeting up ever since.
Heinz turns 79 next January and lives in Hövelhof, Germany. Because of a bad hip, he can’t cycle anymore, but spends his days in his extensive archives and relics of a most remarkable life as the ultimate traveller!
NEW MONKEYSHRINE – 18th of March 2018
Our new website is finally up and running! Yep, the one you’re looking at now! 🙂
A huge amount of detailed information you could find on our previous version is no longer available. We hope this will make it easier to navigate and find the essential info you’re looking for. Please don’t hesitate to ask us about anything Trans-Siberian related! We’re glad to share almost 30 years of experience with you!
We’ll work on some further additions and improvements. If you find any issues, have suggestions, or missed something, please let us know – thanks.
CHINESE NEW YEAR – 16th February 2018
16 February 2018: Chinese New Year, the 4715th year!
The new year starts on the second New Moon after the Solstice.
2018 is the year of the of the Brown Earth Dog and those born under this sign tend to show great determination and could attain the highest level of achievement if they decide too. The Dog have excellent manners, easily makes and keeps friends, works very hard, and appreciates luxury and the goodies in life. They are very romantic, loving, sexy and make loyal partners.
Happy New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai (may you have wealth and prosper)
General Russia Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Russia, but there are several drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following drone laws when flying in Russia,
- You must technically register any drone weighing over 250 grams (0.55lb) with the Transport agency. Despite this rule, the system has not been put in place to register drones, and we have heard from many customers that they have had no issues flying without registration in Russia at this time
- Do not fly your drone over people or large crowds
- Respect others privacy when flying your drone
- Do not fly your drone over military installations, power plants, or any areas that could cause concern from local authorities
- You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
- Do not fly your drone near airports or in any area where aircraft are operating
- Be aware that many sensitive areas of Moscow and other Russian cities have GPS jammers in order to prevent drones from flying around them. This may cause interference with your drone and may cause it to return to home or land if it flies into these areas. It is best to stay away from these areas to avoid potentially losing your drone, or getting in trouble with the authorities
ROBERT STOREY – December 2016
Robert Storey, one of the early Lonely Planet authors, passed away in Taiwan late December 2016! 🙁
He always visited our office/apartment in Chunky Mansion when he was in Hong Kong.
We kept each other up to date and had many meals and restaurant visits together.
He teached me how to use some basic DOS commands to send the first primitive emails, and later helped us setting up the first CompuServe account.
When I traveled with my then girlfriend Chris to Mongolia to explore the country for our first MAT (Mongolian Adventure Tour), he came along, disappearing in each little Som we stopped to find the post office and other important buildings to make frantic notes for the very first Lonely Planet guide on Mongolia. BTW – most of the pix used in that edition are mine! Pioneering days indeed!
He was a great guy, and I’m grateful he was my friend and for all the time and travel adventures we shared.
By Chris Taylor
By David Frazier
RUSSIAN EMBASSY BEIJING filed 1st May 2016
We have heard that the Russian Embassy in Beijing is currently only admitting tourists for visa applications by appointment (it is very busy with Chinese students applying for study visas at the moment). You may find it easier to use a visa agent, we can help if you book with us.
RED FIRE MONKEY filed 1st February 2016
The Chinese New Year is just around the corner and so be prepared for Chinese festivities including lots of fireworks, dragon dancing and holidays. This year is an important year for us, it is the year of the ‘red fire monkey’, from the fabled Monkey King – Journey to the West. But was that journey taking on the Trans-Siberian Railway aha? Read more about the Chinese horoscope on Chinese Fortune Calendar.
CHANGES TO VISA RULES FOR MONGOLIA filed 1st January 2016
In 2014 the Mongolian government relaxed the visa regime and most European and South American’s could travel to Mongolia visa free. However this rule was only valid until December 31st 2015 and this special exemption has now expired. This means that only a select few (Brazil, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, US, etc) can travel visa free and most nationals will now need to arrange a Mongolian visa in advance. See more on our visa page.